According to the statute of the KOMAG Institute of Mining Technology the scope of the Institute’s basic activity includes as follows:
- a realization of research and development projects,
- an adaptation of research and development projects’ results to industrial needs,
- an implementation of research and development projects’ results to industrial practice.
The projects, realized within the a.m. activity, in most cases have a character of applied and development research, i.e. they are undertaken to get new knowledge aiming at substantial practical applications or they consist in using the gained earlier knowledge for a development of new or an improvement of existing solutions.
The subject-matter of R&D projects, conducted within the framework of the a.m. activity, is of a general character and it is of a scope as broad as possible.
It is established on the base of an analysis of novel issues getting ahead of market needs. The results of these projects form a fundamental basis of knowledge indispensable for developing ordered projects.
The projects are developed, among others, in the following fields:
- Smart mechatronic systems.
- Innovative solutions controlling hazards and increasing work safety.
- Innovative transportation systems for conveying people in minerals’ production plants.
- Technologies and technical means for a beneficiation and a classification of minerals.
- Environment management in industrial areas.
- Technologies and methods for environmental protection.
- Smart solutions in supply, control, diagnostic and monitoring systems of machines and equipment.
- Innovative hydraulic and pneumatic systems of machines and equipment.
- Innovative drive systems.
The KOMAG Institute also realizes research-and-development projects, basing on contracts concluded with producers of machines and equipment, their users and authorities of towns, communes and other customers in the scope given below:
- Winding machines and equipment.
- Transportation equipment.
- Powered roof supports.
- Power hydraulics and hydraulic systems.
- Cutting and auxiliary machines.
- Explosion-proof equipment.
- Equipment for ventilation and dust control in roadway workings.
- Equipment for “small mechanization”.
- Electric equipment of explosion-proof machines and equipment.
- Mechatronic systems for machines and equipment.
- Internet of Things.